Hello friends, welcome to my new blog. Here, I'll update about all that is happening in my life in the UK. Do follow up and keep in contact with me!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Easter trip Day 1 - York

I've just had a nice warm shower here at Ace hotel in York, england. It was a frantic start for the Easter trip this morning! 

We were supposed to depart from Warwick Uni at 8.48am but I overslpt and woke up at 8.30am! Was too tired from only 2 hrs of sleep last night due to the preparations. Only woke up when CS called me and I amazingly took a mere 10 mins to wash up, do last minute packing and then left hall to catch the bus to Coventry rail station.

The bus journey from the university to the rail station was horrendous! So many turns and corners. I felt terribly sick and giddy due to lack of sleep and the empty stomach. I thought I was gonna die man, felt so terrible. The train was quite stuffy too since it was fully occupied.

Fortunately, I was well-prepared. Had cooked fried rice the night before for breakfast but since I was in a hurry, I packed it in a lunch box and brought along to eat on the train. I managed to fall aslp and sleep indeed heals the body and brain. I eventually recovered from the sickness by the time we reached York.

It was quite cold in York as compared to coventry and was drizzling quite a bit so for the rest of the day we had to carry umbrella which was troublesome especially when u wanna hold the camera in ur hands and trigger happy everywhere.

The hostel is surprisingly beautiful and it's sign actually states Ace Hotel. We're staying in the 14 men mixed dorm ensuite with a bathroom so it added 

York is a beautiful walled city with medieval buildings everywhere and a Viking history. We visited places like the clifford tower, river Ouse, Jorvik archaeological museum showcasing the Viking history of York, and one of the oldest gothic cathedral which dated back to the Roman period, York Minister.

The city centre is not that big but the roads are abit complicated since it's not on grid style. We've walked around the area over and over again while reading the map so by night time CS was quite an expert in navigating around. Haha.

I really love the historical feel of the city. It's like everywhere u go, u can see a few historical structures like wall, building or pillar which has been left behind since the medieval days.

One thing special is also tt u can see boards all around the streets showing tt it is the meeting place for various tours, especially the York ghost tours at night. I guess the city is just too old, too many ghosts. LOL! 

We had dinner at macdonald's and joined one of the ghost tour to experience what isit like. So basically, the man who conducted the tour just brought us to walk around the city, telling haunted stories about all the historical sites which I don't really find it scary, and I kinda doubt whether they are true. I guess horror films had trained me well. Hahaha! Well, it's afterall a nice exprience but I'll prob not pay for such tours again. 

Looking forward to sit the steam train tml! ^^       

No comments:

Post a Comment