Hello friends, welcome to my new blog. Here, I'll update about all that is happening in my life in the UK. Do follow up and keep in contact with me!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Easter trip Day 5,6 & 7 - Edinburgh. Scotland

These three days in edinburgh seem to fly pass really quickly. We travelled by bus from Glasgow to Edinburgh yesterday and Denzyl came to receive us from the Edinburgh bus station. It's so nice to be seeing Singaporean friends here in the UK

Once we got out onto the streets, the beautiful landscape of the city really amazed me. Princes street was the main shopping street with a good variety of outlets. And standing on the streets of the city, you can actually see the Calton hill, Edinburgh castle and a few other historical monuments. 

We settled down at Justin's dorm and a while later Justin came back from campus. He had a few hours' free time while waiting for his lab reaction to run so he came back to meet us and showed us around the city centre.

He brought us up to the Calton hill where we could get a bird's eye view of the city. Edinburgh looks very dull and old but I love to admire such scenery which we'll never see in Singapore.

Afterwards, Justin had to go back to school to continue his research so CS and I went for lunch and explored around on our own. We decided to buy Subway for the first time. Can u believe it? And I actually like it! 

We went to Edinburgh castle to take a look but did not enter cuz it was closing soon and we wouldn't have time to explore the place comletely. We walked down the long stretch of Royal Mile to Palace of Holyrood where the Queen stays in when she visit Scotland to catch a glimpse of it even though the opening hours to tourists are have already ended.

Headed back to Justin's dorm (our base camp) in the evening where Denz and Jus cooked us dinner and introduced us to their Korean friends Sean who will be travelling with us for the Easter trip.

Early morning of the 2nd day,we joined the day tour bus to the Scottish Highlands and visited places like the Glencoe, Fort William and Loch Ness. But I guess we weren't too lucky for the day cuz it was more of a wet weather and the strong winds made it so difficult to take nice photos. We were all freezing cold and the howling winds basicallyijust messed up my hair in all the ipictures.

Just like how Denz they all described, we ended up dozing off once we're on board the coach and ended up missing lots of stories which the tour guide told.

Hmm we met Hamish the cute highland cattle and that's about it lah. Nessie the Loch Ness monster remians only a myth to me. I personally feel that Taiwan's 阿里山 is more worth going than the Scottish highlands. 

But I really admire the unique Scottish culture (of men wearing skirt ah) till now I've already seen a few grown-up man wearing tartans(scottish skirt) on the street with formal tops. As you walk down the royal mile street, you can actually see lots of shops selling the local produce such as cashmere or wollen scarves, tartan material entity.

We got to enjoy the Scottish local dishes such as Cullen skink, Haggis and Scottish Ale for dinner at night! 

I still can't get use to the taste of Haggis although Justin really enjoys it!
   
Edinburgh Castle on the 3rd day!!!
It was such a super ultra windy, hair-uprooting day at the castle that Edwin Yeow's wig could have been blown away if he was there!

We explored Edinburgh castle which I thought was much better as it looked more real and historical, less commercialized than Warwick castle.

Later the night, which was also our last night in the UK before departing for the Europe tour with Justin ans Denzyl, we had Asian food for dinner. Kampong Ah Lee in Edinburgh recommended by the guys. I had laksa to satisfy my craving but of cuz it wasn't as good as what you'll get in Singapore. I'm so gonna stuff myself with 426 katong laksa when I return to Singapore! 

We also did laundry at justin's place so as to wash all the clothes that I've worn during the first week of my trip. 

Europe! We're here to conquer you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment